LaLiga - Jornada 3 - 11/09/2016 16:00h

Valencia CF 2
75' Rodrigo, 78' Ezequiel Garay
3 Real Betis
38' Rubén Castro, 54' Joaquín, 92' Rubén Castro
Info del partido

VCF mount valient comeback but cruelly beaten by last minute goal

Septiembre, 11 2016 -

Valencia CF came from two goals down

Valencia CF fought back from two down but were cruelly beaten 3-2 by Real Betis with the winner coming in second half stoppage time.

The impact of Munir El Haddadi had a dramatic impact in the final half hour as he added trickery and incision to the attack.

He hit the woodwork and then soon after Rodrigo pulled a goal back with a clinical finish from a Dani Parejo pass with 69 minutes gone.

Valencia poured forward with a man less, following the 50th minutes explusion of Enzo Pérez, and Ezequiel Garay knocked in the equaliser with 13 minutes to go.

Ruben Castro and Joaquín had put Betis ahead and then it was the latter who scored again in injury time.

New centre-halves Eliaquim Mangala and Garay, who signed for Valencia on the final day of the transfer window, went straight into Pako Ayestarán’s starting line-up while another last minute purchase Munir awaited his chance on the bench.

A new player for Betis, Darko Brasanac had the first chance of the game when he steered a shot wide from a narrow angle before José luis Gayà ventured forward and forced a save out of keeper Antonio Adán.

Garay comes with a tag of a goalscoring defender, and he very nearly put the blanquinegros ahead with a firm shot from 25 yards that was clawed away by Adán.

Both keepers were on top with the Betis stopper catching a well-struck drive from Mina and another effort from Nani while Alves at the other end gathered a Ruben Castro shot.

Nani also flicked a cross just wide with his head on the half-hour mark.

Veteran Betis striker Castro was a handful as expected but but Mangala stood firm and blocked an effort from him inside the area.

He finished clinically though minutes later giving Alves little chance after the ball came to him just to the left of the penalty spot.

In a well worked move Valencia tried to bounce back as Nani broke the offside trap and pulled the ball back for Enzo Pérez, but his shot, on the slide, went just wide.

Valencia’s task was made tougher by the dismissal of Pérez after the restart for a foul on Durmisi and soon after they went further behind with Joaquín running clear and slotting home.

The hot weather also took its toll on the players as they battled with a man less but the introduction on Munir for the final hour gave them a lift.

He made an immediate impact with a curling left-foot effort that hit the woodwork and then from a corner Nani nodded just wide.

The goal was on the cards and Rodrigo reduced the deficit with a clever finish between the keeper’s legs after being put clear by Parejo.

With the Mestalla crowd in full voice sensing an equaliser Garay duly delivered. A cross-shot from Munir rebounded to Garay who knocked the ball in at the near post.

Valencia went for the winner but they were caught out at the back with a Cristiano Piccini cross slid home from close range by Castro.


Valencia CF: Diego Alves; Cancelo, Garay, Mangala, Gayà (Montoya min 45); Parejo, Suárez (Medrán min 45), Pérez; Nani, Rodrigo, Mina (Munir min 61)

Real Betis: Adan; Piccini, Pezzella, Mandi, Durmisi; Fabián (Gutiérrez min 20), Brasanac, Petros; Joaquín (Musonda min 68), Castro, Alegría (Zozulia min 82)

Goals: 1-0 Castro min 37; 2-0 Joaquin min 55; 2-1 Rodrigo min 69; 2-2 Garay min 77; 3-2 Castro min 91

Referee: González González. Yellow cards Enzo Pérez (Valencia CF) Brasanac, Piccini, Petros, Musonda (Real Betis). Red card Enzo Pérez

  • Posesión del balón %

    VAL 55-45 REA

  • Tiros a puerta

    VAL 24-12 REA

  • Tarjetas

    VAL 3-4 REA

  • Corners

    VAL 5-5 REA